Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Notes on Act One 3/1

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY TYPOS! SEE ME AT REHEARSAL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR WE NEED TO REVIEW!

AND THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT WORK!

KRIS



Act 1,

Scene 1

Nuns – Noble effort considering how many are missing. Remember to keep a high carriage and glide.

Remember to:
Adjust to profile for the “Morning Hymn”
Remain facing front until the completion of the Amen in “Alleluia”

Sister Berhe – Don’t leave after the Amen, Take your roll call as they are exiting

Scene 2 – no notes

Scene 3

The scene is good and you all have distinct personalities, which is nice. Posture is an issue as you all go in and out of a lifted carriage.

Ladies the open palms at waist level hand gestures are all too pervasive we have to make some other choices with our hands. The gesture for “moonbeam” is off too. Let’s talk before the run tomorrow about what we’re doing.

Mother A are you slighting Sister B with the “pretentiously pious" line? If so it needs to be a little more pointed and Sister B you need to take it as the correction it’s meant to be. Remember to channel your inner Margaret Hamilton!

Mother A – remember not to lean from the waist when making a point, keep your posture and dignity.

Sister B – we need to look at the “no question about Maria” cross. Don’t pull so far DS to where you have to look over your shoulder to regard Mother A.

Sister M – I can’t understand “laugh” you really need to push the “f” sound at the end of the word. You have a really sweet light speaking voice. Really push your consonants so we can hear you a bit better.

Sisters M & S make sure you are closer together in “Asset to the Abby”
You two need to physicalize “Flibbity and Will of a Wisp” More…actually move with it. have fun with that and I think you need to react a bit when Sister M says "a clown" as like, "how dare she!"

Mother A – remember not to pull to far center. You need to be inside the right of that centerline until you sing “Climb Every….” Also during one of you “Ave's” you turned upstage keep open.

The song is good, but we need to fix that line problem. Let’s review it before the run tomorrow.

Favorite Things – Mother A it’s pulling too far center.

Maria and Mother A - I don’t think I like the turn at “When the dog bites” it seems generic and stagy. I preferred a more personal playful feel. Try to come up with something non-choreographed. It goes to that stagy feel with the arm swings.

Scene 4 Confidence – Can’t wait to hear Micah can sing it again!

Jeff/Captain we talked about keeping it physically stricter in the beginning. It's getting a bit soft.

Frau Schmidt – nicely done, but make sure you “bristle” when that awful whistle goes off. See me about the “Oh?” it’s more like “What do you mean by that?”

Franz – get to the DL position a bit faster to deliver the “fortune” joke. The minute the doorbell rings you should be on your way. Remember to cheat out.

Frau Schmidt – can you react to the “fortune” joke for a millisecond...just a bit. See if we can mine a bit more out of it.

Maria, actually move to the terrace doors and then hear the bells before praying.

Jeff – When you come in while she’s praying it seems a bit menacing. I think maybe you are too close to her. Watch her, wait for her prayer to be over and start business.

Micah when you follow the captain SR and he turns don’t be scared, just dutiful and naïve about following his directions. I thinks it's like really happily, dutifully listening. You are not trying to "diss" him, just be the best governess you can by following his every word.

Brigita and Captain – I know you’ll kill me, but let’s go back to the old “book” bit. I think the new idea takes too long and ruins the captain’s flow for inspection.

Frau Schmidt – take only Maria’s bag not her guitar up the stairs.

Kurt//Sawyer – look Maria’s dress over from head to neck not just midsection while you are correcting Brigitta.

Louisa, remember to stay center for “you’ve never been a governess?" let’s separate you from the rest for a moment. Let’s also talk about your push on Kurt it's not the right gesture for the moment.

KIDS – great job tonight!! We need to expand all of your groupings because now they look really crowded together. It's not your fault, it comes from staging you while standing in front of you. We’ll adjust as we go tomorrow. You really have to start showing your emotions (on your faces) with Maria. Right now I can see all the good movement work you’ve done, but that has to disappear into a habit and you have to add facial expressions telling us how you are feeling during the song.

Scene 6
Good scene work, but prefunctory. I can tell Austin that your energy is off. We just need to talk through your reasons for moving and have you comfortable with them. You may be fine and all this and it could all be a result of your being ill. It’s just not as crisp as usual.

Christian – “Drinkers of brandies” sequence was off….we need to play innocent here…talk to me about it before we run. Remember the your last “older and wiser” is looking at him like he’s not the one to be lecturing you.

I’m being picky …..Posture was weak on both of you during this.

Scene 6

Ally – the second Fraulein Maria seems sing-songy. Let’s try for something more inquiring. Also you can be a bit less statuesque with Frau in this scene, you’ve go the feel, now back off a bit.

Ally act like you didn’t even hear the line before “It’s going to rain” and just say it as matter of factly as you can.

Micah – don’t shhhhh Liesl, just give her the “hand”

Christian – I don’t know why I wrote this on the line “Maybe I do” I felt you almost threw it away and underplayed it.

Boys - – remember to bring your fear into the thunder entrance and not make it too goofy, it's really BIG. But thanks for going all out with it.

Scene 8

Girls when you cross center let there be more space between you as you pull on each other’s nightgowns.

Scene 9

Jeff and Nancy place the village more DL closer to the bench.

Chris – make sure Captain is all the way out before you say “Elsa”

We need to review the song but Chris cut the sit on the table during Nancy’s verse and stay right of her at center. It’s too much.

Rolf – you need to come much further into the scene before the captain sees you. See me on it and I'll show you.

Chris remember you take the message and move DR

Peter you need to be at the door for “I’m too lovable”

Kids – GREAT LEAP FROG!! Just keep singing until Maria hits the Captain. There can be Laughter here as well you don't have to sing perfectly. Some of you can fall out laughing.

Kids – when you look at Maria snap back to position for “At Once” but don’t make it comical. It was a bit too big tonight.

Jeff – Remember the Captain/Fraulein discussion we had – I see it as more “I can’t believe I said that” as opposed to “Excuse me”. Maria you can register that you got his attention with his flub here and use it as a "reset" for the discussion...light it reignites your desire to get all those thoughts out even more.

Scene 10 – no problems

Scene 11 We reviewed this so I don’t have any further notes. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

Scene 12 - This was fine but a bit spongy with the blocking. I’d like to take a moment to run over it before we do the act.

No comments:

Post a Comment